Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

A long walk today took us past many of the hidden treasures of the concrete jungle. I've never had a great eye for shooting architecture or the urban landscape in general. I find it easy to see beauty in the natural, but am less quick to recognise the beauty of man-made objects. So I decided to challenge myself. The results were less than inspiring.


I like the colours, but not the composition or the lighting of this photo. I have a feeling that a better photographer than I could have made something magical with this subject.


This is Joe's pick for my photo of the day. I like the lines in the photo and the way the focal point is in the centre of the photo; both the foreground and the background are out of focus. I especially like that the table legs are in focus underneath the out-of-focus rail in the foreground, but I feel like it's lacking some...oomph.


I like it better in black and white, though.


007:365: Round The Clock

So I settled on this one as my photo of the day. I like the heft of the Diebold lock, and the rust in the words at the top of the photo. I like the angle at which I took the photo but I do wish that I had a lens that enabled me to take that particular shot with all of the words in focus. Does that mean it needs a longer focal length? It's been a long time since first year Physics...

4 comments:

  1. I like these, but then again, it's the sort of subject matter I'm drawn to.

    As for getting all the words in focus, that sounds like a job for aperture to me. A narrow apeture will give you a wider/bigger (not sure the term, but the opposite of "narrow") depth of field. This shot looks to have been taken with a pretty wide aperture.

    What kind of camera are you using? If you can find how to change the F stops, this sets the aperture. A bigger number will give you a narrower aperture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing words in y'all's pictures. In your last one, what I saw was "Die Bold." Which strikes me as good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the opposite - I don't really like nature - I'm much better at seeing beauty in man-made objects. And I love that last pic - my favourite images are of somewhat random words/letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what Jennifer said.
    Re focus, if you have a simple camera, you probably have a portrait setting and an infinity setting - close-up and distance. Try using the distance setting, but bounce some light onto the central object (hold a piece of white paper on a slant where it will reflect back.)
    If you have a settings camera, alejna's advice is dead on. Deep and shallow focus are the terms.

    ReplyDelete