Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Does Not Support Flash

I never use a flash. Which means I never get photos of all the bush parties I attend. Such a shame, really.

But seriously, every time I've tried to use a flash the photo sucks. People look washed out, or I've drawn attention to something in the foreground of the shot instead of what I focused on. So tonight I decided to do a little experimenting.

I took almost a 100 photos of this damn thing, trying to capture it the way that I was seeing it. The neighbours probably think we're having a dance party on our deck. It would be kind of a sad dance party, as it's a small deck. Sort of like most of the bush parties I have attended.

I wasn't entirely successful (there are some artifacts from the flash close to the edges of the toy), but it was an interesting learning experience. I feel like my camera and I have gotten to know each other a little better...(alright, enough with the party references, already, show the damn photo).

Here it is, in all it's glory (rather a boring photo, actually):


022:365: With Apologies to Buckminster Fuller

3 comments:

  1. I've recently gone off flash photography for all the reasons you outline. I have an opportunity coming up soon, however, to take some shots with full-on, professional strobe flash. I'm eager to see how that will work compared with the simple, small, front-facing flash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistent. :)

    I'm just realizing that my camera can do way more than I ever relized. I really need to experiment like this. I'm hoping I have more time to play with it once the kids are back at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased a proper flash for my camera (on kijiji, o/c), and I think it will make a big difference. I know that it did when I had a film-based SLR. The built-ins never work for me, either. Anyway, I'll keep you posted about how it goes.

    ReplyDelete