Friday, August 13, 2010

Working It Out

So, I told myself that when it came down to two photos in a single day, I would choose the one that best represented what we were doing that day. Yesterday we were blueberry picking and I captured my eldest through the bushes. I love the photo, but I also really loved a photo I took on the farm of old metal parts that were rusting in an old cart. I want to post it, but I've cheated too many times already, posting photos that are not photos of the day...so, here posterity wins out over art.


016:365: Through the Looking Glass


*****************************

That said, here I am posting multiple versions of a single photo. As I said in my previous post, I'm really working on getting the shot right from the start, rather than using Photoshop to clear up my blunders. Here's an example, though, of the difference that is made. We were out walking today and it was a sunny day, so I and the stroller sought refuge in the shade while Joe picked up a coffee. Unfortunately, the shade also covered the subject of my photo. It's much nicer once it's fixed up. I couldn't stop there, so I made it black & white as well.


017:365: Someone's At the Gate

P.S. For those of you who asked about white balance: I have a digital SLR camera, a Canon Rebel. You can set white balance for different situations, for example, full sun, shade, cloudy days, fluorescent lighting, etc. My layman's understanding of it is that it "tells" the camera what to consider white. In my last post, I had accidentally set the WB to shade when I was actually in a room under fluorescent lights. That made everything in the photo appear much more blue. I'm thinking of getting a little pocket guide to this stuff to help me figure out the day to day stuff.

Tomorrow's challenge: I am not allowed to take my SLR camera to the concert I'm attending. Point-and-shoot cameras only. We'll see how I can apply what I've learned so far with my old point-and-shoot.

3 comments:

  1. OK, so I have a Canon Rebel too. Excellent. Now I'll go read the manual to figure out what buttons to push. I'd really like to be able to correct for incandescent and flourescent light. Cool. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to mention that I've used two point and shoot shots so far and hope to do more. Flickr space limitations suggest I need to use 5-6 a month if I want to get all my pictures on there--unless I upgrade to a $ account, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm... i have a nikon dsl. must actually READ THE BOOK and learn about things like WB. ;) a pocket guide is BRILLIANT. I had someone show me once how to take pictures in the dark (for theatre stuff) but do I remember a WORD of what she told me? no.

    ReplyDelete