Sunday, September 5, 2010

Goals

Like Sue, I've felt a little sheepish at my own use of a particular subject over and over again in my photos, but sometimes it's just so hard to resist:


039:365: Windfall


I can't quite decide why the first is better than the second. Or rather, they're both good, but for different reasons...the light in the first is better and yet the second has her framed by the leaves and with such a genuine smile (which is hard to get out of her these days) that it's just so charming. Still, the sunlight is hard to beat.

Today's photo is a close-up of the half-mannequin that friends have hanging on their front porch, but I didn't pay close enough attention to the background as I shot it. So that is one of my goals from here on out: pay closer attention to what is in the background, and to shadows that may distract from the photo's subject.


040:365: Barbie's Dream House

3 comments:

  1. i vote for tree shot number two

    i love the kind of friends who have half mannequins hanging from their porch

    and backgrounds... that's something I've become increasingly aware of... I now often shift my vantage point, or my subject, to declutter a background. i'm thinking about this as we're buying a house... how can I make it homey and hospitable to photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The legs make me happy.

    As for the subject matter question, it's weird b/c I feel self-conscious about how often I rely on M as my subject matter (but when you're with a kid ALL the time what's a photographer to do?); and yet I really love looking at my friends kids in their 365 photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first shot has a solid central core and a more unusual angle. The kidlet is adorable.
    Agree about backgrounds. That and overhead wires are killers.

    ReplyDelete